Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nicaragua: Day 0


Hello!

I decided this year to blog about our trip to Nicaragua. Many people expressed an interest in our experiences and the work being done in Rene Polanco. I hope this peeks your interest.

Grace, Ruben, and myself will be leaving church at 9 a.m. and arriving in Managua at 9 p.m. The 5.5 hour layover in Houston gives me time to meet my Brother Jason for lunch.

We'll be meeting the "usuals" that travel with Health Talents International (HTI). 18 total people are going: 4 doctors, 3 pharmacists, 2 nurses, 3 chaplains, 5 volunteers (that's me!), and our leader. For many, this will be 10th, 15th, or more years they have gone. We'll join several local physicians & nurses (mostly young and still in school) for 3 clinics on Friday, Saturday, and Monday.


I look forward to sharing with you how God has blessed the people of Nicaragua and Guatemala through HTI. We'll be spending a lot of time together, so expect to hear a lot about the people on the team. Mostly, though, I hope my stories of the road gives you a glimpse into the lives of the people in Central America.

Before I sign off, I wanted to prime the pump with a few questions that linger from my last trip:
  • What is the purpose of the trip? Obviously medical, but that can't be it. One visit a year is akin to putting your finger in a fire hose.
  • What can I do to spiritually help these people?
  • Is it better to send me or just send my money?
  • What is the appropriate use of money?
  • When does money do more harm than good?
Until tomorrow ...

No comments: